Thursday, August 24, 2006

LoSoul


I've always had a soft spot for Peter Kremeier's breed of minimalism, ever since that first brilliant track, 'Open Door'. I think I have all his records on Playhouse and this one is one fine addition to the collection. An interesting record for LoSoul, because after many years his music prudently is evolving from a bare surface-of-the-moon minimalism (which, by the way, is not a bad thing at all) to funkier realms, a difference, I can imagine, that you can only assess if you've followed him from the beginning. This means of course that he's leaving his own beaten path, but that ain't necessarily a bad thing because it involves a certain deepness. The change is hard to catch at first hearing and even harder to describe, but is undeniably there. Not that I expect anything less from Playhouse, which is still one of the best labels around.

No comments: